How to Make Your Own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Kit & Uniform! The Zone Wants You, To Become a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!
If you haven’t already heard, the guys in GSC have announced their third installment for their S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (Working title. Click, for more info). Well, to keep us maned & ready for the upcoming title, I’ve decided its about time we get suited up for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. life by creating our own S.T.A.L.K.E.R. kit & uniform!
Before we begin, lets start off with some of the reasoning behind the structures of what, and why they wear what they wear.
I’m sure you’ve all noticed by now, that every S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you see roaming around is always stocked from head to toe with some pretty bulky equipment. Reasoning behind this is because, outside of regular combat, radiation is the main cause of death in the zone (Whether it’s Alpha/Beta/Gamma radiation, or something mutated from radiation).
Thick clothing helps prevent radiation from penetrating their bodies, thus the more clothing = more protection. So, its important to keep your kit from exposing your body as much as possible. The only exceptions I’ve noticed are their eyes for visibility, and fingers for maneuverability.
Examples: Click to Enlarge
To keep things simple & realistic, I’ll use this reference to keep things in perspective: Modified version of Gameplay’s Magazine article for the upcoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Which you can locate: here).
Now that we have some of the basics down, lets get to actually making our kit. Here is the broad view of what you’ll be needing, along with the order of which I’ll be recommending. Keep in mind that what I recommend is simply a cookie-cutter built for reference for you to customize, and build your own kit.
- Top Wear (Shirt/Vest)
- Bottom Wear (Pants)
- Miscellaneous clothing (Gloves/Pads/Etc)
- Red Wine/Beer!
- First Top Wear: Like I explained before, you’ll be wanting clothing that will cover as much of your body as possible. Depending on your price range, this may vary from a simple shirt + hoodie, or to something more efficient as coveralls w/hood + tactical vest. but as long as you have the basics down (and some sense in matching colors) you should have something decent to get you by. Also, keep in mind that S.T.A.L.K.E.R.’s are outfitted not just protection, but survival. So, I heavily recommend you get some clothing that comes with plenty of space to hold your items/equipment.
- Second Bottom Wear: When it comes to pants, I’d recommend something in the line of cargo pants, since they offer you more pockets to hold your equipment. But, any decent quality pants will do you just as well.
- Third Headgear: Now, one of the funnest parts of making your S.T.A.L.K.E.R. kit! What you choose here will inevitably be your identity. Depending on your price range, you’ll be able to choose from a simple balaclava, or bandanna, to something more iconic, and disturbing as a hi-end gas mask. Both will do the job well, but if you plan to really become a high-end S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a gas mask is a must. In a sense, your searching for a new face.
Keep in mind that if you are planning to get a gas mask, you might want to put into play the different type of masks there are, along with which are used for which situation. Preference and research is key here. Personally, I suggest you get a mask that comes with an optional hose and/or carrying case for your filter. These, arguably, give the most drastic look for your S.T.A.L.K.E.R. set, along with offering you longer protection. Most filters that include the hose are generally much larger in size, thus giving you longer time for filter protection. But, do to it’s size (And weight), carrying it normally without a case would be to much strain for you neck, so it would be best to find something that will hold your filter while your on the go. So, if the ones you buy doesn’t include an additional carrying case, that may factor into which you should order.
Example/References: The Russian gas mask (Top left) is equipped a hose/larger filter/carrying case, while the Israeli M15 gas mask (Top right) is available with a smaller filter that doesn’t require a hose/case. The bottom mask is the British S10 gas mask, of which, you may find it familiar to the S.A.S.’s Black Kit.
- Forth Weapons/Equipment: Every S.T.A.L.K.E.R. needs some form of offensive protection. In the Zone, whoever has the bigger gun, wins. So, the more money you can pump into ordering yourself some proper equipment, the better. Of course, in reality, buying some real weaponry is more likely than not, a moronic idea, so I’d suggest you getting your hands on some airsoft/paintball equipment in it’s place. The minimum for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.’s should be at least a sidearm, and a knife to keep themselves protected (Or if your a real S.T.A.L.K.E.R., bolts). Outside of that, it’s purely up to you, and your perspective of what you think is necessary for your kit.
- Fifth Miscellaneous: These are more or less, optional equipment. Some are more important than others, such as: Rucksack, flashlight, canteen, gloves, boots, PDA, ect. While others, not necessary as high priority, but has it’s purposes: knee & elbow pads, flashbags (Fireworks ^^?), pouches, toothbrush, ipod, etc. Pretty much anything you can get your hands on to use in some form or fashion to keep you going.
- Sixth Red Wine: Last, but not least, is the most important piece of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. survival items, something that is required among all that inhabit the Zone, alcohol! Science has shown that alcohol actually helps protect your body from radiation, of which red wine is believed to be the most effective. It seems, the antioxidants found in red wine “offers protection against radiation exposure by preventing any kind of damage to the body’s cells”. So, be sure to bring your best wine, when visiting the Zone!
Example/References: (Must be 18 years old, or older, to order!)
Once you have all of these things down, you’ll be ready to officially title yourself a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.! I hope this helps get you ready for the upcoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles, and hopefully, we can get through the Zone in one unmutated piece. ;D